List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE commercial video
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nuno_P=F3voa?=" <npovoa () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-02 16:26:58

On 9/2/07, Franz Keferböck <franz.keferboeck@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/07, Nuno Póvoa <npovoa@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have no idea how useful this could be to you guys, but when Nuno
> > Pinheiro asked me to do a longer "log-on" sound so they could use it
> > in commercials I shivered and said "no way I'm doing that....but I can
> > make a new one from scratch" and doing so required me to make a mental
> > mock up's of the commercial. I fondled with the idea around until I
> > started visualising in the beginning a black screen, then a fade in
> > onto a KDE's workspace (maybe the corner of the screen where the clock
> > is flipping another minute), then fade back to black and fade in again
> > to another shot of KDE's desktop (maybe a close up of the the mouse
> > pointer going to, I don't know...kopete!). The jingle I made has in
> > the beginning of it a few very cinematic/dramatic pulses of a string
> > ensemble attacking a chord, then silence, then another chord, then
> > silence... and this happens a few times,.
>
> I was thinking of pretty much the same _listening_ to the music; IMHO

that is hands-down the biggest compliment you could have given
regarding that jingle. if you saw the imaging from the music my goal
as a composer was achieved. thank you. :)

> having the KDE desktop on fullscreen is worthless, but those short
> shots are a good way to still have the actual product on screen.

I thing that listening to the music, or picking some common
inspiration form images or footage is really the only way for us all
to be on the same page when it comes to brain storm something like
this.

> > Then there's a pause and suddenly the beat comes in, the strings are
> > less aggressive and more flow-ish and there's a "shinning" sound
> > hovering around playing some notes I picked that are common to the
> > entire Oxygen sound theme. I imagined daily life shots here (I'm going
> > totally abstract from then on), a baby running in the camera's
> > direction, a slowmotion shot of someone letting coffee drop from a
> > spoon onto a coffee machine (big closeup, just the machine, the spoon
> > and fingers), a couple dressed in business clothes on the subway reach
> > for each other's hand and then let go and they both smirk... just
> > daily stuff, cute stuff, stuff that is part of or daily mundane life
> > but the kind of stuff that makes us smile in bed at night before sleep
> > wins us over. the images are coming fast, going fast and over it I
> > started imaging some lettering fading in and out and in the likings of
>
> Hm, i'm not sure if the baby is not too cheesy, but i get the picture;

It's not only cheesy, it's a cliché. I actually erased the "great dane
running over a pic-nic setting"...that's how cheesy I can get man. lol

> However, getting good quality footage isn't easy, and we need a good
> script and all to get things right here to create these kind of
> images;

I imagined mixed quality footage, we can even get the community to
pitch in, as they see fit. we can send out a a proposition with that
sentence you liked "things that make us smile in bed in retrospect,
before sleep wins us over", we'd be getting lot's of pr0n,
granted...but it's bound (no pun intended) to give us enough material
for an edit.

getting mixed quality footage will also be an analogy to KDE's
developer, administrative and artistic community. we are all giving
our best to wrap KDE 4 up, and we keep developing new ideas with
different "colours" to the whole project.

> line!). There is things on our desktop that is very much alike real
> objects - think the plasma clock, icons, ...

I think that close ups are good, they are natural teasers and that's
good in commercial presentations. And also the amazing work being done
by the graphic artists is the obvious "bait" on an ad, it's quick,
prone to induce curiosity and it's very very impressive, creating a
lasting image on the viewer. Facts are not cool in ads, pictures on
the other hand...

> > . revolutions happen every day
> > . small changes
> > . big differences
> > . on how you
> > . work
> > . communicate
> > . play
> > . do business
> > . participate
> > . acquire information
> > . make decisions
> > . create
> > . share
> > . learn
> > . mentor
> > . experience

> now identifying things in Real Life and on our KDE 4 Desktop that fit
> the slogans above, blending from the virtual object to the real - and
> back - and showing how KDE 4 will help you to get through the day with
> all it's little details it helps you out with...

That's the main bit. of course you are right.
a window manager/environment is all about being productive, getting
your job & life easier wile making your hobbies more enjoyable. and
since we are talking about opensource people want to be proud of what
they use. because they aren't bounded to immediate price tags. people
are really choosing freely and that choice comes with a bit of pride
attached to it.

> > I finished up mentally with "experience the revolution" fade out and
> > eventually a lingering "KDE 4". (i imagine some else has used
> > "experience the revolution"  but hey...it's just a mental mock up. :)
> > )
>
> This whole "think of a name, think of a slogan" was already there,
> short and w/o results; problem generally - also here with this - is
> that it is very prone to bikeshedding... /me quite surprised that
> response on that is actually that _low_...

but we need a slogan, right? sooner or later, we need a sentence to go
with KDE, perhaps even a mission statement. have we got a mission
statement? lol...I'm sorry, I don't want to be pushy. :) but maybe
those issues should be addressed again, it they failed to produce
viable results on the first/second/third try... :)

> > so that's all I've got. :P
>
> That is actually pretty nice; if it remains more "business-like"
> rather than too cheesy i think it might address people who don't know
> bout KDE at all as well as show KDE 4's new beauty to those who do.
> nice...

I'm glad i could help. :)

we need to keep brainstorming this, get a motto, a common feel among
everyone involved, that should keep us on the same frequency. and I
think that "lone ranging" is exactly what keeps these projects from
getting any significant development. this gets us back to the
slogan/mission statement issue. now is the time we really need it.

Cheers,
npovoa