List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE commercial video
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Franz_Keferb=F6ck?=" <franz.keferboeck () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-02 15:42:38

On 02/09/07, Nuno Póvoa <npovoa@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have no idea how useful this could be to you guys, but when Nuno
> Pinheiro asked me to do a longer "log-on" sound so they could use it
> in commercials I shivered and said "no way I'm doing that....but I can
> make a new one from scratch" and doing so required me to make a mental
> mock up's of the commercial. I fondled with the idea around until I
> started visualising in the beginning a black screen, then a fade in
> onto a KDE's workspace (maybe the corner of the screen where the clock
> is flipping another minute), then fade back to black and fade in again
> to another shot of KDE's desktop (maybe a close up of the the mouse
> pointer going to, I don't know...kopete!). The jingle I made has in
> the beginning of it a few very cinematic/dramatic pulses of a string
> ensemble attacking a chord, then silence, then another chord, then
> silence... and this happens a few times,.

I was thinking of pretty much the same _listening_ to the music; IMHO
having the KDE desktop on fullscreen is worthless, but those short
shots are a good way to still have the actual product on screen.

> Then there's a pause and suddenly the beat comes in, the strings are
> less aggressive and more flow-ish and there's a "shinning" sound
> hovering around playing some notes I picked that are common to the
> entire Oxygen sound theme. I imagined daily life shots here (I'm going
> totally abstract from then on), a baby running in the camera's
> direction, a slowmotion shot of someone letting coffee drop from a
> spoon onto a coffee machine (big closeup, just the machine, the spoon
> and fingers), a couple dressed in business clothes on the subway reach
> for each other's hand and then let go and they both smirk... just
> daily stuff, cute stuff, stuff that is part of or daily mundane life
> but the kind of stuff that makes us smile in bed at night before sleep
> wins us over. the images are coming fast, going fast and over it I
> started imaging some lettering fading in and out and in the likings of

Hm, i'm not sure if the baby is not too cheesy, but i get the picture;
However, getting good quality footage isn't easy, and we need a good
script and all to get things right here to create these kind of
images;
It's something close, but different that came to my mind when reading
through this:
I really like the idea of focusing on the small things in life that
"make us smile in bed at night before sleep wins us over" (wow, what a
line!). There is things on our desktop that is very much alike real
objects - think the plasma clock, icons, ...

> . revolutions happen every day
> . small changes
> . big differences
> . on how you
> . work
> . communicate
> . play
> . do business
> . participate
> . acquire information
> . make decisions
> . create
> . share
> . learn
> . mentor
> . experience

now identifying things in Real Life and on our KDE 4 Desktop that fit
the slogans above, blending from the virtual object to the real - and
back - and showing how KDE 4 will help you to get through the day with
all it's little details it helps you out with...

> I finished up mentally with "experience the revolution" fade out and
> eventually a lingering "KDE 4". (i imagine some else has used
> "experience the revolution"  but hey...it's just a mental mock up. :)
> )

This whole "think of a name, think of a slogan" was already there,
short and w/o results; problem generally - also here with this - is
that it is very prone to bikeshedding... /me quite surprised that
response on that is actually that _low_...

> so that's all I've got. :P

That is actually pretty nice; if it remains more "business-like"
rather than too cheesy i think it might address people who don't know
bout KDE at all as well as show KDE 4's new beauty to those who do.
nice...

greets
Franz

--