List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE commercial video
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nuno_P=F3voa?=" <npovoa () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-02 11:27:49

I have no idea how useful this could be to you guys, but when Nuno
Pinheiro asked me to do a longer "log-on" sound so they could use it
in commercials I shivered and said "no way I'm doing that....but I can
make a new one from scratch" and doing so required me to make a mental
mock up's of the commercial. I fondled with the idea around until I
started visualising in the beginning a black screen, then a fade in
onto a KDE's workspace (maybe the corner of the screen where the clock
is flipping another minute), then fade back to black and fade in again
to another shot of KDE's desktop (maybe a close up of the the mouse
pointer going to, I don't know...kopete!). The jingle I made has in
the beginning of it a few very cinematic/dramatic pulses of a string
ensemble attacking a chord, then silence, then another chord, then
silence... and this happens a few times,.

Then there's a pause and suddenly the beat comes in, the strings are
less aggressive and more flow-ish and there's a "shinning" sound
hovering around playing some notes I picked that are common to the
entire Oxygen sound theme. I imagined daily life shots here (I'm going
totally abstract from then on), a baby running in the camera's
direction, a slowmotion shot of someone letting coffee drop from a
spoon onto a coffee machine (big closeup, just the machine, the spoon
and fingers), a couple dressed in business clothes on the subway reach
for each other's hand and then let go and they both smirk... just
daily stuff, cute stuff, stuff that is part of or daily mundane life
but the kind of stuff that makes us smile in bed at night before sleep
wins us over. the images are coming fast, going fast and over it I
started imaging some lettering fading in and out and in the likings of

. revolutions happen every day
. small changes
. big differences
. on how you
. work
. communicate
. play
. do business
. participate
. acquire information
. make decisions
. create
. share
. learn
. mentor
. experience

I finished up mentally with "experience the revolution" fade out and
eventually a lingering "KDE 4". (i imagine some else has used
"experience the revolution"  but hey...it's just a mental mock up. :)
)

so that's all I've got. :P

you can grab an early version of the jingle here:
http://websvn.kde.org/*checkout*/trunk/playground/artwork/Oxygen/sounds/nfsp/commercial%20v4.ogg?pathrev=634883
 mind that all the notes are in place now, and I've done some tweaking
to the mix, so it feels much better then this one. but this might just
be enough for you guys to feel what direction those visuals took me
to.

also, I want you guys to know that the jingle I made can be changed
down to it's very core if necessary and the visuals you guys pick are
not in accordance to what it is right now.

Cheers,
npovoa