List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] s/project/community
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-12 6:44:01

On Friday 11 May 2007 18:12, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> I'd like to propose a change in our communication, use community instead of
> project. In the original sense, a project is something finite, which I
> think KDE is not. Furthermore, using "community" it stresses one of our
> core values, project does say pretty much nothing. I've got this idea when
> writing the alpha1 release announcement, it's done in that story on the dot
> already, and I think it makes all the sense in the world.
>
> So please, in the future, refer to the "KDE Community" instead of the "KDE
> Project".

I don't think this general statement really makes sense. There certainly are
many places where replacing "project" by "community" better expresses what we
want to say and stressing the community is all good.

But there are also places where "project" fits better or something completely
different.

How do we use the term "KDE project" right now? Random collection:

"The KDE project released ..."
"The KDE project needs (infrastructure|developers|support|...)"
"The KDE project is enthusiastic about (artwork|cookies|...)"
"The KDE project strives to be usable for everybody"
"Get involved with the KDE project"
"The presence of the KDE project at events"
"The KDE project was honored as 'Best Open Source Project'"
"The KDE project serves as umbrella project for many applications"
"Gentoo KDE project"
"Why the KDE project switched to CMake"
"The history of the KDE project"
"The KDE project uses a different license"
"Support the KDE project"
"Chief researchers for the KDE project within SQO-OSS are ..."
"The KDE e.V. represents the KDE project"
"Include configuration tools as part of the KDE project"
"Donate to the KDE project"
"Initiatives within the KDE project such as a promotion group"

My feeling is that whenever "project" means the KDE organization, "community"
is a great replacement. But when it means the KDE software it doesn't really
work.

"Project" abstracts a bit from the people. That's bad when referring to the
people who make KDE. But when you talk about KDE in general as combination of
people and software, "project" doesn't seem to be the worst fit.

The implication of and end I don't perceive as a problem as no duration is
implied. I guess it depends on how we see our mission. Is it "Adapting KDE
software to changes in libraries the software depends on"? Then there would
be no end. In this case we should rename us to "KDE operations".

But if our mission is "Create the perfect free desktop" then there is an end
and I like the thought (well, maybe it's more of a dream) that we eventually
will reach it.

> Or start bitching now, we have a t-shirt ready. :-)

I like T-Shirts :-)