List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] s/project/community
From:       jos () mijnkamer ! nl
Date:       2007-05-12 9:32:32

I agree with Cornelius. There sure are several cases where we could
use community a bit more, but in some area's, project is fine.

Lets go through the examples he gave:

"The KDE project released ..."
You can say "The KDE communit released ...", right?

"The KDE project needs (infrastructure|developers|support|...)"
"The KDE project is enthusiastic about (artwork|cookies|...)"
community
"The KDE project strives to be usable for everybody"
project, of course
"Get involved with the KDE project"
community
"The presence of the KDE project at events"
community!
"The KDE project was honored as 'Best Open Source Project'"
project
"The KDE project serves as umbrella project for many applications"
project
"Gentoo KDE project"
community?
"Why the KDE project switched to CMake"
project
"The history of the KDE project"
hmmm. both... ?
"The KDE project uses a different license"
project
"Support the KDE project"
both...

Let's stop here. Repeating myself, I agree with Cornelius and Cebas.
We can use the word community a lot more, but not always. Project when
referring to the software project, community when refering to the
people and whole of KDE (after all, we're more than just software,
we're a place where fun is to be had, ppl can meet, etcetera, right?
We need the term community, because it just fits).