List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] In need for name of a project
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-02 21:07:10

Hi again,

meanwhile I found an answer to the question that Aaron triggered, that is, how
would be the general description of the manager/browser/controller/editor
program like.

I think it would be something along
"People & Projects manager/browser/controller/editor". Or that ("projects" is
still to narrow, I think, but well)

And once I got to the term people I found out that BeOS has an addressbook
called "People" (interesting implementation detail: in BeOS the data about a
person is stored as 0 byte big file, by using the extended file attributes to
keep the data, together the so called "people files").

Am Donnerstag, 25. Januar 2007 20:15, schrieb Friedrich W. H. Kossebau:
> So, what do you think would be a good name for this?

Many thanks for all your suggestions. Following I list them again, a little
bit grouped by theme:

--- 8< ----------------------------------------------------------------
__Human beings:
peers
Meta Peers
Meta Pals
Companion(s), as a variant of the "peers" suggestion
Kompanion
Crowd (Control)
Krowd
BoFs
Community (Builder)
Society
Folks
People
folklet (swedish for people)
Chalchi/Khalkhi (georgian for people)

__All nature:
(Coral) perhaps too close to Corel
Polyp
AntFarm
swarm
hive
flock
shoal
Flechten/Lichen

__Physics/Chemistry:
Gluons
Crystals
Molecules

__Structure:
Kloud
Loom
cluster
Geflecht
Li(fe|ve)Links

__Movement:
TouchBase
InTouch
Pulse (it has this live feedback thing)
PulseNet
Oscillation

__Musics/Sound:
Sinfonia
Polyphony
(Orchestra) in use elsewhere
Concerto
Resonance
Consonance

__Place/Role:
Embassy or Diplomat, based on their use as contacts between countries
(Campfire), a common gathering place :) (already in use)
Gathering, as a meeting of people with shared interests
Pau Wau or PowWow

__?
Katch
Kascade
--- 8< ----------------------------------------------------------------

They all have something, for sure, I like especially "Embassy" and "swarm".
But they all don't trigger satisfaction with me, sadly.
Still, which ones would with you?

An hour ago, when looking at the other KDE project names, the term
"Vivid"
came up. Hey, I think that would be it (don't ask me why, it's more a
feeling). :)

But Google knows a lot of usages of that term (don't even look for
vivid.org ;) in the computer and software world already. That proposes
trademark trouble. Unless I call it KDE Vivid, perhaps?

What do you think/know here?

If you recommend me to not use Vivid, for any valid reason, I then would like
to instead choose
"ხალხი".
Hehe. That is Georgian for "people", as in "group of persons". The official
transcription to latin characters would be "Khalkhi" (which has two "k",
great ;), the ISO one Xalxi. The term (and its explanation ;) would emphasize
that KDE is not/don't want to be english/roman centric, and the term for sure
will be googlable, as it seems not to be used as trademark, for what I can
see, and not too widespread besides Georgia (ხალხი: 53.700 results,
Xalxi:15.600 results, Khalki: only 653 results). And its semantic reflects
what the framework is about.
Okay?

Vivid or Khalkhi or Xalxi?

Thanks for your help