List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] In need for name of a project
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-01-27 23:10:52

Am Samstag, 27. Januar 2007 21:53, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Friday 26 January 2007 18:22, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 27. Januar 2007 00:13, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > > On Friday 26 January 2007 15:44, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> >
> > So the name is only about marketing?
>
> either/or thinking: -1

/me ashamed

> it's about marketing. it's about making it possible for people to speak to
> each other about in a conversation. it's about making it memorable so
> people can find it again easily. it's about making it easy for people to
> figure out what the app does.
>
> all of these things matter, and not in some theoretical way. i hear people
> praising or condemning applications they do (or do not) use for all of
> these reasons.

But why is it so with programs, and not everywhere else, too? I see it as kind
of tradition in the software world, but is it really the best solution?

> > > it also works for anyone who knows what the word "meeting" means. ekiga
> > > helps exactly no one and because there's no mnemonic relationship, it
> > > doesn't make it very easy to remember. using apps on linux is often
> > > like learning a whole new language because we don't leverage the words
> > > people are used to using.
> >
> > But isn't this where the general description used in the menu comes in?
>
> people don't refer to the general description in conversation.
> and yes, many people -do- look to the name of the app for help in figuring
> out what it does.
>
> > When going for a program in the menu I personally don't guess by the
> > name, but read the description. People seem to have no problem to use
> > this approach for cars, for persons, for soaps, why should it be
> > different with programs?
>
> i didn't say that it needed to be a literal perfect description, but that
> completely abstract names are more difficult to understand, remember and
> tell others about.

Agreed, this looks to be on the bonus side of semantically close names.
But in my eyes also on the bad side, because if the name is remembered by the
semantics there is the danger to mix it up, or? "There was this editor,
KWrite or KWord." Haven't we seen it all the time? Ekiga will not be mixed up
with e.g. Kopete or Skype I think.
Any brain/learning scientist around to help here instead of my guessing? :)

> but name your app however you wish.

Hee, I have no idea what I wish. I am just wondering how to design best the
name. That's why I am here on the list and put in so many question marks. :)

And it just came to me that I even to not know how a generic description of
the managing program to the framework would be like, oha. Thinking now...

Friedrich