List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] In need for name of a project
From:       "Joseph M. Gaffney" <cucullin () wtfisthat ! net>
Date:       2007-01-27 0:44:49

On Friday 26 January 2007 05:44:22 pm Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:

> So Ubuntu, SUSE, RedHat, Gentoo, Mandrake really hurt? I don't think the
> identifying name must be too close in semantics.

Ubuntu has a meaning, and is an integral part of Canonical's marketing.  SUSE
was originally S.u.S.E. - "Software- und System-Entwicklung" ("Software and
System Development").  A gentoo is a penguin, and Mandrake was a product of
MandrakeSoft (then with Conectiva added, it became Mandriva).

So they aren't really funky names :)  But I get your point.  The main thing
though, is popularity.  Most of these have been around a long while now, and
some started quite small.  As it spread, it became more well known, attracted
more people, and became a "common" name.

> > kimdaba used to be a favourite example of mine, but they fixed that: now
> > it's kphotoalbum. much better.
>
> But claims a pretty general term. How to name another one? KPhotoalbum 2?

Or maybe KPhotoBook, or maybe drop the K, and go with PictureGallery, or
something more interesting, like daguerreotype, and have a historical
reference.  Still on topic though.

Ok I'm going to stop or I'll probably keep going on a lengthy email, without a
real reason.  Chalk it up to being hungry, and a bit bored, on a friday
night ;)

-Joseph M. Gaffney