List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Preparing for 3.5.4
From:       Kurt Pfeifle <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-06-28 15:32:38

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 14:50, Tom Chance wrote:

> Another thought I had is - what about going with translations in a really big
> way? We've mentioned it a bit before, but we could try to make a bigger
> splash just on the main story that "KDE now has x translations (with the
> release of 3.5.4)!" We wouldn't actually bracket the release part, but I hope
> you get the idea.

A few days ago I heard a radio news item (in Germany) saying that
Microsoft has inked a contract with the (French or Alsace?) government
to provide an Alsace localization for one of their major software
bundles (was it WinXP? was it MS Office?; sorry, can't remember).

I didn't see it in any printed/online news so far though.

However, translations is one of the areas where KDE as well as Gnome
do better than proprietary vendors. Probably not necessarily in
overall quality, or completeness of coverage for individual languages,
but certainly for the number of different languages.

So this idea bodes well for

 a) a joint "marketing" with Gnome (they also have more localizations
    than MS or Apple) to promote Free Desktop Environments
    internationally (to the general public as well as to governmental
    bodies)

 b) at the same time make a call for helping with improving quality
    and coverage of translations

This does not need to be limited to the 3.5.4 release announcement
only. It could be part of a more sustained messaging.

Cheers,
Kurt