List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Hacks on the Dot
From:       Danil Dotsenko <dd () accentsolution ! com>
Date:       2006-06-24 7:58:28

Friday 23 June 2006 13:38 Carsten Niehaus wrote:
> Am Freitag 23 Juni 2006 16:24 schrieb Adriaan de Groot:
> > There was a brief series by Carsten Niehaus on the dot about KDE 3.5
> > applications; it petered out when Carsten didn't have the time to
> > continue writing. So I'd say this is an excellent idea (maybe also steal
> > some of the text Luke Parry has written recently to this list) but you
> > really need to carry it alone to show it can be done -- and then
> > hopefully people will step up and chime in.
>
> I'll have much more free time in 2 weeks (Monday in 1.5 weeks) and I plan
> to write part IV of my series than. But not before.

DELIBERATION:

Carsten's articles are more like "Hey, these apps exist!" than a deep look
into an application, that Ahmed suggested.

I favor both approaches, but they, in my opinion serve different goals.
Carsten's is more "introductional", Ahmed's is more like an answer to "Is
Linux Ready for Desktop?" question. Since the answer to that is neither YES,
nor NO, but "it depends on your usage needs," the scenario-based guides to
application sets could be a big boon.

It seems Carsten is delving into sound manipulation scenario. I have just
finished publishing a book (my friend's poetry, in Russian) using Scribus,
Krita, Gimp, Inkscape, KDE (color correction, file management and preview),
Basket, KGTK (makes GTK apps display KDE's open/save dialog) and other misc
apps / tools.

(After I am done with tweaking miloCalendar) I'll publish this as
a "Publishing on KDE" scenario. "Scenario-lising" may be a good, serious way
to talk about KDE as a platform that will bend over backwards to make one
productive.

My only problem with Ahmed's proposal - publishing the hacks on the dot. Hacks
change and the original author may not be as informed, but the article will
stay stale. These are not really news, so unlike Carsten's pieces, "usage
scenario" articles are better suited for wiki format.

WHAT TO DO:

A good way to approach Ahmed's suggestion would be:
- for this list to create a somewhat coherent list of suggested,
actionable "KDE-related usage scenarios" (these may include useless things
like "changing the way KDE looks") and
- making the list available to potential adaptors on wiki.kde.org.

I wouldn't mind adopting a publishing scenario and SuperKaramba theme creation
scenario.

What other usage scenarios are there?

--
Danil Dotsenko