List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Contest:  Working version of KOffice 1.5 on Windows, $3,
From:       kent () mslinux ! com
Date:       2006-05-13 0:45:22

I thought it would be appropriate to post this here.  Is there a way to
advertise this kind of thing on KOffice and/or kde.org?  Perhaps even better in
the future is those who are interested in providing this kind of reward system
for work done, much like a grant, have a form to fill out, and once it's done,
it can be immediately post on kde.org.

--------------------
Hi -

I would like to offer $3,000.00 USD for anyone to have a working KOffice 1.5 on
Windows the quickest, in particular KWord, KSpread, and KPresenter.  The
criteria for winning are these:

1)  Be able to embed KSpread in KWord, KWord in KSpread, KWord in KPresenter,
and KSpread in Kpresenter.  (KParts)
2)  Bold, Italicize, and Underline of characters in all 3 app to work. (Rich
Text Engine)
3)  Being able to move objects such as images, text, tables, etc. in all 3 apps.
(Model View Document)
4)  Able to save documents in OpenDoc format in all 3 apps. (OpenDocument format
standard)

The port doesn't need to be perfect.  I want to see a proof of concept that it
works for the 4 criteria defined above.  Whatever you need to get there is your
problem.   For example, if you need to port kdelibs to make KParts to work so
the embedding of KSpread, KWord, and KPresenter, then do it.  I just want to
see the final result of your port in Windows binary format to test.  I'll be
testing the port on Windows XP SP2.

The contest ends immediately when a person satisfied the criteria above.

How to determine who enter first?
All binary upload should have an MD5 checksum and a date stamp.  This will allow
me to identify who submit the entry first.

Last time, there was a contest on KOffice 2.0 GUI.  It was quite a success, and
the person who won did receive his money.

The purpose of the contest is not to undermine the KOffice developers effort but
to enhance it by getting people to _actually_ write code instead of _promise_ to
write code.  The KOffice team can choose to accept the result (code) of this
contest or not, is up to them.  I just want to encourage and push further
KOffice development in the Windows environment by offering monetary
compensation.

If you guys think this is a good idea, please help spread the word of this
contest for me.  The contest automatically ends on June 30, 2006 if no one has
completed the task before then.

I'm happy to entertain any questions you may have.

Cheers!