List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Promoting KDE using Target Your News
From:       "Amir Michail" <amichail () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-13 4:44:36

Hi,

I've written a paper on Target Your News:

"Shattering the Self-Promotion Taboo"
http://targetyournews.com/TargetYourNews.pdf

The corresponding service is fully functional and free:

http://targetyournews.com

It's sort of like reddit, but the submitter is responsible for
targeting his/her link to people who will probably like it.

To see how a particular link is targeted, click "targeting".  For
example, here is the targeting for KolourPaint:

http://targetyournews.com/?cmd=targeting&urlid=269984

Note how targeting URLs are used to suggest KolourPaint to people. For
example, KolourPaint is targeted to people who liked GIMP.

People who are targeted can click "more like this" or "fewer like
this" to build their interest profile.  This in turn determines your
submission score.  Careful targeting is important because your
submission score determines your submission's rank among personalized
recommendations for targeted people.

Now, perhaps you are involved with KolourPaint in some way or like it
a lot, so you would like to promote it as well.  Moreover, you might
believe that you can do a better job targeting it so more interested
people will see it.

In that case, click on "evolve" to change its targeting, title, and/or
tags.  Note that all instances of the link will remain in the system,
so in fact, many people could try to promote this program in different
ways.  Click "family" to see all instances of the link.

To receive personalized recommendations, take a look at the links
under "My Targeted Links".  If you would like to receive more
personalized recommendations, give your preferences for some of the
links under "My Targeting Links".

I would be quite willing to enter many KDE apps into the system,
though perhaps others could target them by evolving my submissions.

Amir