List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Contest:  Working version of KOffice 1.5 on Windows, $3,000
From:       Jarosław_Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2006-05-08 17:05:06

kent@mslinux.com said the following, On 2006-05-08 18:36:

> Quoting Jaroslaw Staniek <js@iidea.pl>:
>

>> Hi,
>> Some of my points:
>>
>> 1. As already mentioned, win32 posrt will require some collaboratio
>> within the
>> KOffice Team. I wouldn't be so cruel to eat developers' time that
>> should be
>> rather devoted to porting to Qt4.
>

> The person that's doing this should be smart enough to read through the
> code and
> figure things out without any help.
>
>> 2. Your offer would be immediately accepted e.g. by me back in 2005.
>> Now, digging in Qt3 when we know merging changes with 2.0 will be
>> needed is a
>> small waste.
>

> I'm opening it up to anyone who can do it.  The opportunity cost of
> offering to
> a single individual is 6.5 billion people.  In other word, I don't trust
> anyone
> until it's done.  If you have it done earliest, the money is yours.
>
>> 3. You want to convince a customer to FOSS Office apps. Without showing
>> OpenOffice.org, its ability to open/save proprietary formats, I dont
>> think the
>> customer will be happy by seeing alpha-port of KOffice (only this
>> stage can be
>> achived by the end of June).
>

> The company is not my customer per se.  This company knows KOffice runs
> on Linux
> and in fact has several machines run as a testbed to determine
> feasibility of
> conversion.  The ability to get KOffice-alpha-alpha on Windows is a big
> win to
> get this company to wait 9 - 12 months for something that can save them
> in the
> hundreds of thousands in the future is worth the bet.  Every round of
> Office
> upgrade is $53 per license at volume purchase of more than 5,000 units.
>
>> 4. Want to show 100% windows port of larger KOffice app just as a
>> proof-of-concept?
>> Download http://www.kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
>

> Noted.
>
>> 5. Note: Skeptics will be still skeptics unless you attack their point
>> of view
>> by e.g. warning them of the new hard-to-learn-by-a-Joe-user new GUI of MS
>> Office 2007.
>

> It's all about the cost.  If it's cost effective to wait for KOffice on
> Windows,
> then wait.  If not, they'll go with Office 2007.  No biggie.
>
> I want to reiterate, I can put in some serious capital when I can see some
> promising results.

What about having one KOffice 1.5 app ported, not three? You'd get this ~3
time sooner. My vote would be KSpread.

BTW: having KOffice on win32 (even now) doesn't tell very much about quality
of filters for MS formats. This is not a problem if the customer is
comfortable with the current state of MS filters in KOffice. Is this the case?

The same question about feature-set.
I am asking because too often, custormers ask one important question, and then
when the issue is resolved, another question make me sure I've wasted my time.
It's trivial but there are always requirements that can be found to refuse the
switch.

I am looking forward to see details. Also please tell me what is the result of
reviewing Kexi/win32 product.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska

* KDE3 & KDE4 Libraries For Developing MS Windows Applications:
                   http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki
See also:
* Kexi For MS Windows: http://kexi.pl/wiki/index.php/Kexi_for_MS_Windows
* Kexi Support:        http://www.kexi-project.org/support.html