List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE 3.5 is very alive! Possible Dot-Story?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-05 22:52:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 11:56, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 16:46, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> > > Do you *WANT* to push out something with such an obvious flamebait
> > > title out with fuzz?
> >
> > no doubt. negative comparative marketing does not do us a lot of good.
> > the title of that article makes me cringe a bit inside, actually.
>
> Calm down. I called it a "working title". Which usually does not say
> anything about the real final title. It only is descriptive about the
> raw outline of its content.

whew! if you can, please select a more positive title that doesn't involve
insulting the competition.

one of the cardinal rules of marketing is don't mention the competition
 unless you have to or it's already been brought up by someone else; and if
 you do bring it up, never ever bash them or come out negative about them:
 state positives about your products / services in such a way that the
 audience puts the negatives together about the competition in their own
 mind.

this may be a cultural thing, but it's what works in the english speaking
world.

> Also, it is not "negative comparative marketing". It is positive about
> KDE.

... phrased in terms of negative aspects of Windows XP. which is what we call
"negative comparative marketing".

> And even what you call negative comparative marketing is to be
> viewed differently, if...
>
>  a) ...it is backed up with facts and screenshots, and if it is
>        clearly characterized as a personal preference thing too;

just because it's correct does not mean it will have the intended effects.
this is a very german way of thinking that completely fails on this side of
the atlantic. if you are right but come off sounding like a dink, people will
often mentally discount your argument completely and even attack the ideas
overtly. one needs to be right -and- nice.

>  b) ...it is not against a fellow FOSS project, but against someone
>        "from the outside";

if you're trying to stir up the FOSS people to righteous indignation, sure.
but if you're trying to lure people "from the outside" in, then taking this
approach will simply turn off many people right at the start.

--
Aaron J. Seigo