List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE 3.5 is very alive! Possible Dot-Story?
From:       "Wade Olson" <wade () corefunction ! com>
Date:       2006-04-05 18:54:21

On 4/5/06, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 13:29, Birger Kollstrand wrote:
> > For the majority of the world decent MS office compatibiløity is a must.
> > How is that now in KOffice? If it's not good then it's hard to make it a
> > star to promote.
>
> a few years ago i would've been right with you. but today i see this as the
> hole-in-the-sock approach.
>
> i take it as an axiom that any given piece of software is not right for
> someone. the question is "who is that someone, and do we need to cater to
> them right now?"
>
> for enterprise usage, excellent ms office compat is a must (and for many, even
> OOo isn't good enough). for many home, educational and small office users
> it's not really that important. approximate support is good enough as they
> generally create more than they review other's documents and formats such as
> PDF and HTML are used more regularly for interchange. and let's face it, ODF
> is the future here (even if that is a long-term goal)

I always talk with Inge Wallin and mention that MS-compat seems like
an easy way to absorb a *ton* of developer hours in a group with few
person-hours available.

The trade-offs to improve MS-compat would mean possibly quite a few
less features/bug fixes that would have otherwise been done with those
hours.

In the short term, I silently envision OO.o being the .doc<->ODF
translator if needed (beside PDF).  Can we ask OpenOffice folks on
branding themselves as the premier document conduit between MS Office
and KOffice?