List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] University Sponsorship
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-03-22 20:55:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 22 March 2006 12:17, Dave Rowe wrote:
> What is the best way to go about getting support from the University for
> Open Source development, specifically, KDE in my case.  I thought about
> teaching some classes on the subject of Open Source development (getting
> involved, the culture, build systems, etc), which would give me some time
> to devote to KDE.

teaching classes is a great idea! there's a fair amount of material floating
around out there as well that could be easily used for such classes.

other things that spring to my mind include:

 - see if you can get KDE on machines in some of the computer labs,
particularly ones used by the comp sci dpt, so people can get familiar with
it through usage
 - start an open source or even a KDE-specific development club/association on
campus
 - have a guest speaker from the KDE project come and speak to students there.
that can have quite a nice impact on getting interest
 - investigate the possibility of having KDE/Qt used in some of the classes
where programming is part of the curriculum. here in Calgary, they use Qt on
Linux to teach intro graphics and OpenGL programming, for instance

--
Aaron J. Seigo