List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo]
From:       Birger Kollstrand <birger.kollstrand () losmail ! no>
Date:       2006-01-04 20:43:24

Monday 19 December 2005 01:08, skrev Tom Chance:
> Ever the man of mystery, Wade :) One thing that struck me about Aaron's
> latest attempt at an irrefutable argument is - why wouldn't those official
> apps just be 'Clarity apps'? Why do we need two separate brands, a-la
> MacOSX and iLife? I'm not sure that the Apple model fits the more
> complicated world of KDE...
Might not, but it is a good idea to get a second set of branding. KDE is very
fluffy to explain to non Linux users. Is it an OS? No? Is it an application ?
NO? is it everything then ? NO????

So what if there was three parts to the message?
- An operating system
- A desktop environment
- A set of applications
??

> My take on your proposal, Aaron, is that we ship the desktop environment as
> a bundle - Clarity. We then officially ship apps that meet certain
> standards and brand them as "Clarity apps". Other apps that happen to use
> the KDE APIs are then just plain old "KDE apps" (though that all of a
> sudden makes next to no sense ;).
Klarity apps, the usage of the K has become a branding in it self :-)

> So today we'd have something like this (though with better names for apps):
>
> Clarity
> - Clarity apps
> --- Kmail
> --- Konqueror
> --- Konsole
> --- Digikam
> --- Amarok
> - KDE apps
> --- RSIBreak
> --- Kile
> --- KDissert
>
> But then the thinking behind Amarok and Digikam going into the 'Clarity
> apps' category is more than automated tests. It's to do with their overall
> quality, the fact that they are the best apps of their kind, and the
> likelihood of them being actively developed in the forseeable future.
Would it be possible to have a "second" name to the Klarity app? Like kMail,
kAudio, kScanner, kPaint (PLease find a better generic naminc scheme!)?
That second name could be just a link to the real name, but it could meake the
KDE experience easier as the different disrtos could ship a easy to use
default menue setup?
If say Digicam is eclipsed by another application then that can be chosen in
the next releas as the Klarity app?

> Can you, urm, clarify your thinking behind the separate brands? Also
> how you see
> those brands fitting in with certification, which you almost seem to
> have put in
> as an afterthought but which, as Wade said, seems like it could be a
> *really* big move for the KDE Project.

Regards Birger
www.linær.no