List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo]
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-19 15:13:56

On Sunday 18 December 2005 10:13, kent@mslinux.com wrote:
> > Mentioning in the future that Linus is using KDE is a good thing. But
> > comparisons don't help here at all - rather the opposite: "There's no
> > contender out there that would be worth to be mentioned" / "Never ever
> > mention the competition" is the marketing rule that needs to be respected
> > in this case.
>
> Where did you learn about "never ever mention the competition" in
> marketing? There is this supersymmetry in marketing.  Bad publicity is
> also a good thing
> because it brings in attention from those who have no idea what KDE is.
> When the world only knows Windows and you talk shiet about Windows and
> claim KDE is better and this and that.  What do you think people who have
> no idea of KDE would do?  Do your homework in marketing.

   I'm getting tired of repeating it, but let's try one more time:
We are aiming for the big pie, not the chunk of the 2-4% slice that we already
share.  We are working -with- Gnome, not against them.  Trying to take
advantage of this situation is wrong.  This is a major issue we need to get
over.  We discussed this with the Gnome folks recently and we all agreed that
this needs to stop on both sides.  Please help us.

> There are many people on this mailing list that lacks marketing
> education which
> I find very alarming.

   Using marketing to gain 1% and screw over the chances of gaining 95% in a
progressive manner is very alarming.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/