List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [RFC] does this look good?
From:       Tom Chance <tom () acrewoods ! net>
Date:       2005-12-29 11:29:12

Ahoy,

First of all, that's a nice page =) I did something vaguely similar, but also
quite different, a couple of years ago with a friend. We used screenshots and
short descriptions to show how cool the KIOSlave technology was...

On Thursday 29 December 2005 01:42, Thu, 29 Dec 2005 02:42:24 +0100 wrote:
> I hope we (KDE users) can build something similar in the kde main site.
> It's something quite common (using screenshots to show functionality)
> but I feel its strenghts have not been explored a lot - a good combination
> of "geek-oriented" (good "technology" is the main strenght of KDE and
> that's what must be show) images and texts can have a good effect: KDE has
> had Kparts and KIOSlaves documentation (even some user-level documentation
> and lots of reviews) for years, still most of non-KDE people know nothing
> about the existence of those things. Even the firefox site has not
> screenshots about things like ie: the wonderful search bar, for example.

This links in to what I said in reply to Inge about the KOffice web site. At
the moment kde.org is pretty terrible for anyone but geeks, as I'm sure many
people involved are aware. I think that some of the web site maintainers are
discussing some changes, but for reasons including those you mention it would
be good to get more people involved to make sure that it does a good job of
promoting KDE.

One hard thing, though, is that KDE just has so many features to boast about.
You've tried to deal with this by just selecting a few random features. A
better approach for the kde.org web site would probably be to work it around
the restructuring of KDE generally, so you have a page showing off the core
features of KDE (inc. KIOSlave stuff and workspace stuff like Plasma). Then
you either have brief mentions of applications / app groups, or links to
their respective web pages. Want office apps? See KOffice. Want multimedia
capabilities? See amaroK, Codeine, etc.

Anyway, that discussion depends upon some clear decisions being made on how
KDE will be packaged and distributed (including the place for apps like
Digikam, amaroK, Juk, etc.), and on lots of marketing research going on now
behind the scenes.

In the meantime, we could all discuss improvements to that web page and then
submit it to the Dot?

Regards,
Tom

--
I'm aware that e-mails to me may be blocked by my host
because they are mistaken as spam. If this happens,