List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] [RFC] does this look good?
From:       Thilo Pfennig <tpfennig () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-12-29 15:15:02

2005/12/29, Tom Chance <tom@acrewoods.net>:

> This links in to what I said in reply to Inge about the KOffice web site. At
> the moment kde.org is pretty terrible for anyone but geeks, as I'm sure many
> people involved are aware. I think that some of the web site maintainers are
> discussing some changes, but for reasons including those you mention it would
> be good to get more people involved to make sure that it does a good job of
> promoting KDE.

I would say (as a GNOME-only user, also on gnome-marketing list) that
kde.org is much better than gnome.org at today.

What i think is a problem with KDE as well as with GNOME is that we
can tell people about the Desktop but can not provide the software.
Well people can download KDE packages, but KDE also primarily links to
distributions that provide KDE. So what if someone thinks KDE is
actually what he wants?

I think if the free desktops are not going the way to be distributions
themselves they should at least provide some software or ISO images to
download.

I managed to install Ubuntu some months ago on a windows computer with
no CD drive. Therefore I could use a windows version of GRUB. The only
thing that was missing for making this perfect was that there are no
preconfigured settings for this package. I could do it because i knew
enough about GRUB. But given the software we already have it would be
possible to:

1. Have something like a KDE download that actually installs one distro or
2. Gives the user a choice between 4-5 distributions that have KDE as
a focus, same would fit for GNOME.

The only problem with that is that when rebooting the computer should
be given an IP and an internet gateway via DHCP. This could be tested

But I don't want to get too much into technical details. I think I
should have made my idea clear: Making it easy for users to go from
decision to have a free desktop to actuall have one.

Thilo Pfennig

--
http://www.pfennigsolutions.de