List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Linus Torvalds said: "KDE is the cream of the crop "
From:       Wade Olson <wade () corefunction ! com>
Date:       2005-12-19 15:50:10

On 12/19/05, George Staikos <staikos@kde.org> wrote:

> Using marketing to gain 1% and screw over the chances of gaining 95% in a
> progressive manner is very alarming.

What?  Do we have to rewrite everything now???

Kidding aside, can you only imagine the numbers of people getting
their first computer in the next decade in Asia, Eastern Europe and
South America?  I say 'imagine' because I'm not sure how accurate any
current predictions are, besides 'alot'.

Combined with some turnover and upgrade cycles in more established
computing locales?

Remember that Microsoft built a strong community and network of ISVs
back when only a couple million people were using it.  There's some
'escape velocity" (term I've used before) where a platform can't be
ignored and it becomes attractive to ISVs and VARs etc.

Regardless of other group's percentages in the future, KDE at worst is
poised to pick up several million new users in the next 5-10 years.
That's absurdly cool.

Internal-fighting and lack of interoperability already bit UNIX in the
ass over the last 20 years...does anyone really want to make the same
mistake again?  Not learning from from your forefathers is for
Presidents, not programmers.