List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] collecting information on the SME
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-21 14:13:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 20 November 2005 07:51, Mihnea Capraru wrote:
> Maybe it would be helpful to know how they came into
> using KDE. Especially interesting would be knowing how
> many times the initiative stemmed from IT employees
> (or perhaps even end users, although that's probably a
> rare occurance).
>
> This is because I hedge the temptative hypothesis that
> the enterprise might be penetrated 'from within' - the

unlike the server which only IT people really see, the desktop is very hard
(e.g. next to impossible) to replace w/out people noticing. this makes it
amazingly difficult to use the backdoor, from within approach that worked so
well for open source server solutions.

and to be honest, i'm not interested in "the enterprise". i'm interested in
the SME market. others are looking after the enterprise (where adoption
happens to be very slow), so i'm looking at an unaddressed market segment.

> Another interesting thing to do would be providing a
> 'secondary use' input field. Otherwise valuable
> information could get obscured by the fact that
> certain uses could be frequent within enterprises, but
> rarely primary uses.

good point. i'll add that.

> How will the survey get to the relevant survey takers?
> (Or is this thread supposed to only focus on the
> content, not delivery?)

content. i have a budding strategy for delivery, and it's not "announce it on
websites online". =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo