List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] "A finer grained division of possible target
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-11-21 14:18:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

hi alex =)

On Sunday 20 November 2005 22:57, alex wrote:
> The particular reason I decided to write is this /quote/: "We are competing
> with commercial products" (Vol. 32, Issue 23). That's true, but

> 1) KDE also
> competes with other DEs/WMs, e.g. Gnome, XFCE, Fluxbox etc., and

but this represents a vanishingly small amount of the marketplace. and we
don't actually compete with XFCE or Fluxbox; they are different tools for
different jobs.

we have a similar market orientation with GNOME, but i'd rather not fight over
40% of 3% of the market with someone whome we actually work with on quite a
few things when we could instead aim squarely for the 97% that is Windows and
MacOS.

so in that light, the fact that people choose between KDE and GNOME or XFCE at
times .... it doesn't make them our competition or the people we primarily
focus on.

> 2) KDE has
> not yet been ported to other OSs, as far as I know.

that doesn't change who our competition is. MacOS competes with Windows, but
most of MacOS X has not been ported to other OSes.

--
Aaron J. Seigo