List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] kde.org versus Wikipedia
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-11-20 1:31:35

--- George Staikos <staikos@kde.org> schrieb:

> FreeBSD?
> > >
> > > How many people downloaded explorer.exe
> without
> > > having windows installed?!?!
> > > This is getting absurd now...
> >
> > I'm not suggesting that anybody download KDE
> without a
> > 'compatible' OS. On the contrary, I'm suggesting
> that
> > they download an OS which features KDE.
>
> Then there is no need for a Download button.

Maybe not a download button, this is just an
implementation detail. But leaving the visitor with no
real incentive to 'get kde now' would not cut it at
all.

> > > KDE is a very small part of what fulfills a
> goal.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to understand this.
> >
> > It's a small part of a whole system, but it's most
> of
> > what the end user interacts with.
>
> No, the user uses his/her applications.  Maybe
> some of those are in KDE too,
> but primarily they don't -use- KDE.  I don't -use-
> KDE.  I use a linux
> terminal, Kontact, and Konqueror.

This is why we should be promoting the 'application
stack' (or another suitable name), not the 'desktop
environment'.

> It makes no sense to try to promote KDE as
> something which it is not, and
> that's why I understand you to be suggesting.  A
> FireFox-style "Download"
> button will do more harm than good IMHO.

I'm not suggesting to promote KDE as something which
it's not, since that would mean lying.

But some way to prominently say 'Download' needs to be
found, unless you are willing to give up the
tremendous power of the word 'Download'

> > We make it clear that an OS is an OS and a
> software
> > stack is a software stack.
>
> The users you seem to want to target really don't
> want to know this.

Actually I'm thinking of users who do have a slight
representation of the difference between OS and
application level. Those who don't have this idea are
not hunting around for more software on the internet,
and they need to be reached through other channels,
not kde.org

> > Install on the computer, with the rest of the OS.
>
> So we tell them to get KDE-less OS and install KDE
> on it?  Come on.....

Nope.

We're telling them to get an OS which comes with KDE,
certainly not a KDE-less OS.

> I'm estimating the Linux desktop share to be at
> 2%.  If you want to target
> Linux users, you tell them to download and install
> KDE.  If you want to
> target Windows/Mac users, you tell them to get a
> Linux distro (and those
> already have KDE).

They do, but not all of them have good builds of KDE,
and not all of them default to KDE, while new users
typically go with the defaults.

If we want to promote KDE, then we need to do just
this, not rely on Linux promotion and hope that this
serves us well enough.

> > Spliting 2% is indeed silly. And courting users
> from
> > other OSes is ridiculous. This means that any
> effort
> > to promote KDE is doomed, because no one's left to
> > promote to. We're trapped.
>
> Creating imaginary people to promote to is also
> doomed.

People looking for software downloads aren't
imaginary.

> > Actually, there are indeed people who never used a
> > computer before. Lots of them. But they're the
> hardest
> > target to hit, and when they do get to computers,
> it
> > tends to be the government which tells them what
> kind
> > of computers those are.
>
> The download button is -really- not going to help
> them.

> > There are also pupils in schools, and they partly
> > escape your trap. And marketing to schools is
> > certainly something to be done. But it cannot be
> only
> > schools and people who can't afford computers.
>
> A download button will neither help them.

Indeed. I was mentioning computerless people and
pupils in order to find a way out of the trap. The
download button is meant for one side of the trap, the
'other os' people.

Mihnea