List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE's most attractive feature
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-11-17 1:10:30

Since identifying the few KDE features which could
best sell it is important for promotion, I'm giving a
shot at what seems to me to be KDE's most attractive
feature.

It is the fact that components are reused very well.
While this is an implementation detail, it also means
that somebody who knows how to use one KDE app mostly
knows how to use them all.

If I'm not mistaken, this is even the goal Matthias
Ettrich had in mind when he founded the project.

Whom might this address?

Unfortunately I need to provide a boring answer. It
doesn't address one, but two categories - which is a
bit suspect, I admit.

On one hand it addresses the guys who use their
computer as a personal computer. On the other hand, it
addresses network administrators who are sick of
providing constant 'new buttons' tutorials to their
users.

The reason why it interests these two categories is at
least twofold:

1st (and most important). It makes KDE very easy to
use (other things make it less easy to use, but the
overall coherency makes for ease of use)

2nd (not very important on first sight, but it has
huge hidden powers) It is aesthetically pleasing.
Nobody (I assume) enjoys seeing the same problem
solved by different, incoherent instruments. This is
Occam's Razor in aesthetical terms.

This is why this feature of KDE might be branded as
'Inner Beauty'

Of course, the name does sound a bit mushy, and it
depends on whom we're targetting. The name might be
something else (some people call it integration, and
maybe that's the right one for corporate audiences).
But the fact that KDE 'empowers' you to satisfy most
(for many people all) of your computing needs at a
very small expense in interaction rule overhead should
be a key message (unless three even more attractive
messages can be found, which is a bit of a pointless
addition :) )

Mihnea