List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE's slogan
From:       Mihnea Capraru <mihnea_capraru () yahoo ! de>
Date:       2005-11-17 0:09:41

--- "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo@kde.org> schrieb:

> On Wednesday 16 November 2005 08:21, Wade Olson
> wrote:
> > On 11/16/05, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo@kde.org>
> wrote:
> the
> > >
> > > no comments on the suggested slogans, but having
> done this sort of thing
> > > in my time spent with a few other companies what
> i've learned is:
> > >
> > > you first need to identify who you are
> speaking to
> >
> > Exactly.  Brainstorming is fun and getting people
> talking again on
> > KDE-promo is good, but such activities are putting
> the cart before the
> > horse, for lack of a better way to say it.
>
> and for the record, figuring out WHO you are
> speaking to is often as enjoyable
> than figuring WHAT you will say to them. so it's not
> boring or unfortunate,
> it's just necessary =)

It might even be more enjoyable, since it poses some
fundamental questions.

What does it mean to figure out whom you're talking
to? This is largely a matter of decision, after all,
you're talking to whom you want.

Does this mean 'identifying the people most likely to
give in to you'? It certainly seems that this is what
it means.

But since we need to ask WHO before asking WHAT,
another question needs to be posed even earlier: HOW?
I mean how do we figure out whom we want to talk to?
To we study the current user base empirically? What
efficient instruments do we have in order to do that?
And what is the relevancy of the current users with
regard to prospective users? Maybe there's a big one,
maybe there's small one. But how do we decide this?

Maybe it does make sense to tackle the problem mostly
a priori (this means without empirical knowledge of
facts). Paradoxical as this might sound - hunting for
facts where there are no instruments to discover them
tends to lead to superstition, rather than knowledge.

Mihnea