List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Press release / announcement
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-03-18 17:25:49

On Friday 18 Mar 2005 14:41, Barry O'Donovan wrote:
> On Friday 18 March 2005 12:33, Tom Chance wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 Mar 2005 15:18, Tom Chance wrote:
> > > How is the press release going to be handled?
> >
> > Did anyone send out a press release?
>
> First draft for Ireland:
>
> http://www.kde.ie/announcments/3.4-annoucement.odt
> http://www.kde.ie/announcments/3.4-annoucement.pdf

This is really cool, good work! Some suggestions

1 - Change the header graphic to fit the new KDE identity guidelines (check
the clipart page)

2 - Remove the word "also" from the first sentence of he third paragraph
(about translations). There are too many "also"s :-)

3 - Relegate the "what is KDE?" section to the bottom as a note

4 - Cut the highlights at a glance section down to far fewer items, just the
five most impressive or so

5 - Include a quote from yourself. Maybe the bit about translations? Quotes
are a good opportunity to say something that's a little more qualitative (as
in general everything else should be very factual).

The actual press release (i.e. everything that comes before the notes, which
includes "what is KDE?", "Getting KDE 3.4", "Supporting KDE", "Press
contacts" and "References") shouldn't be longer than five or six paragraphs
at most. Most journalists are inundated with press releases and will probably
only spend a few seconds glancing at it to see if it's worth reading through
properly. They definitely won't follow up on any of the references unless
they're *really* interested. At least, all of this is in my experience
anyway :-)

Even if they write a story on it, they may not read all of it! Just feed them
a few memes that they can base a story on.

Anyway, other than that it looks great.

Regards,
Tom
--