List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Competitor Review
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-12-12 10:17:52

On Saturday 11 Dec 2004 22:12, steve@orplex.com wrote:
> > And don't let us forget their first point, "Free" (which is also the first
> > point on http://www.gnome.org/about/why.html but there more detailed
> > concerning "all underlying libraries are licensed under LGPL).
>
> My guess is that they are taking shots at QT's dual licensing -- but
> thinking about it -- is it a good idea for GNOME to talk about FREE more
> than features or benefits of GNOME for the user -- i mean does the casual
> user really care about the subtext of what free means? If you ask me -- joe
> blow cares more about what he get from using it -- i mean if i can download
> both for free -- why do i care about the LGPL? I care more about what lets
> me do what i want with PC better

Two things on this point:

1 - KDE also has a focus on it being Free Software. Quoting the first sentence
from the homepage: "KDE is a powerful Free Software graphical desktop
environment".

2 - Let's not get confused between "users don't care if it is Free Software"
and "it's not important to users if it's Free Software". The former is
probably true for many people, just because they've never heard of the idea
before and so it's not going to be important to them. But it *is* important
to them if it is Free or not, because it means they can share it around, copy
it to other machines, use it as they wish, file a bug report or maybe hire
someone to make a change, and so on.

Let's not have this document fall into saying nonsense like freedom doesn't
matter. It does, otherwise we'd all be working on proprietary software. So I
wouldn't start suggesting that freedom is important to GNOME and that's a
competitivge disadvantage, or that freedom isn't important to KDE.

On a totally different point: what about including freedesktop.org in your
analysis? Since it was mentioned that a competitor can be someone with whom
you collaborate as well as someone with whom you compete, it would make sense
to make a note of where freedesktop.org provides us with opportunities to
collaborate (with Gnome, Xorg, Xfce, MAS, etc.) and also how this affects our
competitive relationship with Gnome and Xfce.

Regards,
Tom