List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Leaflet and Press Dossier
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-12-10 15:58:45

On Friday 10 Dec 2004 14:39, Fabrice Mous wrote:
> On Friday 10 December 2004 13:06, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> > An ideal Press dossier would have
> >
> > - a cardboard color jacket that we could reuse
> > - the press dossier could be two colors (blue for the KDE Logo + black)
> > - the leaflet
> > - A Knoppix with the press dossier in HTML /  PDF format + a KPresenter
> > presentation of KDE
> > - A small Knoppix manual
>
> A good idea! But I think that we don't have a one-suits-all kind of press
> dossier. For example when I go to community events I have a different kind
> of "dossier" then when I go to a business type event.
>
> I agree on the cardboard (color) jacket because that way you can change
> easily change the content accordingly to your audience. Please be aware
> that Tom Chance also made some press packages at aKademy.
>
> At the Netherlands we have a somewhat different way of collecting material
> for press people. We have the section "mediakit" which contains screenshots
> (for articles) (not finished apparently) [6] and some cool and important
> pressreleases [7] in the PDF file format .
>
> [6] http://www.kde.nl/mediakit/screenshots/
> [7] http://www.kde.nl/mediakit/persberichten/

Yes indeedy, a press dossier with 25/35 pages of in-depth information on all
aspects of the KDE project is *not* what we want to be handing journalists!

The ideal press dossier will contain:

- Some brief information related to KDE and the event where it's being used.
At aKademy we had a one page overview of the conference, one page detailing
the sub-events, and one page describing the organisers and sponsors.

- Some brief information about KDE in general. This can include a screenshot
or two, but the journalist isn't going to scan it for an article!

- Any interesting recent press releases... very important that these are
professional and properly done (i.e. not just an announcement copied from the
dot)

- A list of press contacts, and where journalists can find more materials
(like logos, screenshots, etc).

- A very good LiveCD. Personally I think handing out Knoppix to journalists
who aren't from very techie magazines is a *bad* idea because it looks
confusing, unprofessional and gimmicky. If there is a LiveCD that just loads
up a clean KDE desktop with a handful of the *best* *desktop* applications
installed, and no more, then that'd be good to hand out.

The whole thing shouldn't be longer than ten pages, and for events like expos
only five pages or so. No journalist, unless they're already really
interested in KDE, is going to read a short book. If they want more info, the
press dossier will direct them to the web site and to the press contacts. And
then there are the KDE representatives on hand at the event.

So... what we really need here is for the Dutchies, who are so far ahead of
everyone else, to provide a template that national or continental teams can
then customise for each event.

Regards,
Tom