List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Leaflet and Press Dossier
From:       Fabrice Mous <fabrice () kde ! nl>
Date:       2004-12-10 14:39:48

On Friday 10 December 2004 13:06, Charles de Miramon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for not responding in the thread but it seems I'm having problem
> getting mail from Kde-promo lately
>
> I've looked at the leaflets made by Fabrice :
>
> http://www.kde.nl/mediakit/flyers/algemene_folder/acrobat5/
>
> It is two A4 pages, I guess. I don't really understand how it is possible
> to create the folded leaflet from the files ? By the way, the PDF looks
> horrible in xpdf

You need to fold it in the length you can see some pics [1] [2] of how this
looks.

The PDF output I have is really great as I optimize it for printing. So on
screen it looks less ok, but I can assure you that printed it looks pretty
spiffy. I use acroread for viewing btw.

Check out the PDF output we have for acrobat4 [3] and acrobat5 [4]. If you
want to produce the same output be sure to use the fonts [5]

> The last leaflet made by Tackat was if I remember an A4 cut in the middle
> in the length and then folded twice. I think it is better to have a small
> leaflet (two in a A4 page). If I remember the printer invoice : paper and
> color printing was the expensive part. Cutting and Folding the cheap part.

This design (ahum .. yes) was done because it is simple and cheap and doable
for local KDE groups to print. You can do this at home (black/white) or
copyshop (full color) or just make photocopies (color or full color) .

Previous leaflet was done in some Adobe application (forgot the name) which
was impossible to translate in your own langauge. Also it was in PITA to get
those leaflets. So whatever design we prefer I suggest we use applications
which are widely available to all. That way we can all make our own leaflet.

[...]
> An ideal Press dossier would have
>
> - a cardboard color jacket that we could reuse
> - the press dossier could be two colors (blue for the KDE Logo + black)
> - the leaflet
> - A Knoppix with the press dossier in HTML /  PDF format + a KPresenter
> presentation of KDE
> - A small Knoppix manual

A good idea! But I think that we don't have a one-suits-all kind of press
dossier. For example when I go to community events I have a different kind of
"dossier" then when I go to a business type event.

I agree on the cardboard (color) jacket because that way you can change easily
change the content accordingly to your audience. Please be aware that Tom
Chance also made some press packages at aKademy.

At the Netherlands we have a somewhat different way of collecting material for
press people. We have the section "mediakit" which contains screenshots (for
articles) (not finished apparently) [6] and some cool and important
pressreleases [7] in the PDF file format .

Kind regards,

Fabrice

[1] http://www.kde.nl/agenda/2004-11-12-hccdagen/fotos/img_0031.jpg
[2] http://www.kde.nl/agenda/2004-10-13_14-linuxworldexpo/fotos/IMG_0008.JPG