List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       Tom Chance <lists () tomchance ! org ! uk>
Date:       2004-12-05 15:18:02

On Sunday 05 Dec 2004 14:46, Olaf Schmidt wrote:
> The difficult task is to find the right marketing language for this. Of
> course we are proud of the desktop and of the applications we have
> written, and we are happy if people use them rather than competing
> products. But part of this is that we want Windows users to know that if
> they switch from Windows to KDE, they can use a great number of other
> Linux/Unix software as well. We want them to know that we have a good
> browser and a good office solution, but that they can also keep using
> OpenOffice and Mozilla FireFox under KDE. And we want GNOME users to know
> that they can use our applications without having to switch the desktop,
> or that they can switch the desktop and still use their favourite
> applications.

Olaf, I couldn't agree more. What would be really good is more joint-promotion
where we collaborate, e.g. through freedesktop.org and the accessibility work
you are involved in, and where our products work together, i.e. every app
that doesn't deliberately piss off the others by doing its own thing ;-)

Perhaps this could be part of Steven's SWOT analysis, i.e. counting Gnome and
other Free Software projects as both strengths, opportunities and (in a
special sense) competitors ?

Regards,
Tom