List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       Olaf Schmidt <ojschmidt () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-05 14:46:21

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Steven Giacomelli, Samstag, 4. Dezember 2004 21:12]
> No i completely understand and agree -- but in order to be able to see
> how KDE fits in the desktop product enviroment -- it is important to
> consider other products avaliable and to look at each critically --
> though in no way am i promoting negative tag-lines

Of course the analysis must include GNOME, but please be careful not to
start this analysis with wrong assumptions.

> I'm not looking at KDE vs others in the context of free software
> politics -- to be fair i dont really care about that --
> and i dont think the average user cares either.

I have several comments on this sentence:

> KDE vs others

Looking at GNOME only from a point of view of comparing exclusive options
would ignore the great potential that cooperation between KDE and other
free desktop projects offers in comparision to closed systems like
Windows.

Framing KDE and GNOME as oppositions would also be factually wrong,
because a Linux/Unix desktop environment is not a static system. The KDE
project is writing hundreds of applications that can all be used under
different window managers and desktops. At the same time, dozens of KDE
developers have spend time integrating other software (including GNOME
applications) into the KDE desktop.

The difficult task is to find the right marketing language for this. Of
course we are proud of the desktop and of the applications we have
written, and we are happy if people use them rather than competing
products. But part of this is that we want Windows users to know that if
they switch from Windows to KDE, they can use a great number of other
Linux/Unix software as well. We want them to know that we have a good
browser and a good office solution, but that they can also keep using
OpenOffice and Mozilla FireFox under KDE. And we want GNOME users to know
that they can use our applications without having to switch the desktop,
or that they can switch the desktop and still use their favourite
applications.

> in the context of free software politics -- to be fair i dont really
> care about that --

I am convinced that the freedom of our software is one of our key
strengths, and I don't see why it shouldn't be mentioned in marketing
KDE, because there are users and developers who care about this.

The vast majority of KDE contributors have chosen to spend time on free
software because they believe in it. We allow other developer to take our
code and to reuse it in other free software projects, such as GNOME.

Of course no one forces you to agree with this, but keep in mind that
marketing is not in aim in itself. Marketing for KDE should be benefitial
to the KDE project, and this is why it must also reach possible future
contributors, for whom the freedom to change and to contribute is
essential.

> and i dont think the average user cares either.

Our marketing should not only address end users. Marketing KDE as a
developer platform is at last as important, because having new third
party applications for KDE makes the KDE project much stronger than a new
end user would.

Olaf