List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-05 16:22:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 05 December 2004 14:05, Tom Chance wrote:
> Well it's not only difficult for a non-profit community of hackers to
> compete with someone like Ximian or Sun in the media, government and
> corporate spheres. It's counterproductive!
>
> Sniping at GNOME because of Ximian, Sun and others publicly gives two
> impressions:

There is a difference between recognizing that you compete in a certain market
with someone and being nasty about it.

KDE competes with Gnome <full stop> That doesn't mean we have to diss Gnome or
that we can't cooperate with Gnome. It's just the recognition of the fact
that developers tend to work for EITHER Gnome OR KDE, not both, and that
users predominantly use EITHER Gnome OR KDE, not both (Yes, I know, a
minority of geek users switches desktop 3 times per week). Especially in a
corporate setting I would expect a company to use one, not both, of the
environments as a corporate standard.

Cheers,
Waldo
--