List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       tackat () t-online ! de (tackat () t-online ! de)
Date:       2004-12-05 14:21:08

> Stephan Binner <binner@kde.org> wrote:
> > Yes, noise. The proclaimed intention to "deploy 500.000 to 1 million
> > desktops within one year". This year has passed, did you ever hear
> > how much they did?
> Are you implying that the claims were false?

The claim that they might have _intended_ to deploy these numbers of
desktops is probably not false.

I heard from various sources who are in different ways involved in this
story or "onlookers" that this project obviously failed in its pilot
stage though.
Of course Sun will _never_ admit this. And of course those people who
are indirectly involved will never admit it in public either.

My impression is that this story was just made made up to give the JDS a
headstart  (remember: they claim that the deal was made before they
actually had a real product) in terms of marketing so that potential
customers feel good when evaluating this product ("If it's good enough
for a million chinese people it's good enough for me as well ... ;-)

Actually it doesn't matter whether this deployment happened or not. If
there are enough people who believe in these numbers (and obviously
there are even people among KDE hackers who do so) then this marketing
effort by Sun has succeeded. As a result there will be more people
feeling confident enough to buy their products and regard them as a
major linux seller.

Greetings,
Torsten Rahn