List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Who are KDE's main competitors?
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2004-12-04 23:01:01

Stephan Binner <binner@kde.org> wrote:
> > I remember Sun making a lot of noise about getting million-desktop JDS
> > contracts in a certain Asian country.
>
> Yes, noise. The proclaimed intention to "deploy 500.000 to 1 million desktops
> within one year". This year has passed, did you ever hear how much they did?

Are you implying that the claims were false?

> > I can't remember the details of that, but I can't imagine the reason
> > to dismiss JDS as a serious competitor.
>
> Competitor of what? Of distributions like UserLinux, Ubuntu or NLD? Sure. :-)
> But a distribution as competitor of a desktop environment? Apples and Pears?

If Sun could displace KDE desktop deployments in a organisation with
JDS, do you think they would do it?

Afterall, that's exactly what Ximian was doing.  They looked at every
announcement that mentioned a big organisation was switching to KDE
and then tried to convert them to GNOME.  To this day the City of
Largo is still on GNOME.

I think Sun would do it too, if they had the chance to push a JDS
solution.  So doesn't that make them a competitor to KDE in some sense?

Cheers,
Navin.