List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Munich Deal and KDE
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-06-03 14:04:24

Sven Lueppken wrote:
> "Ximain's move to target Microsoft customers on the desktop follows just
> days after Microsoft lost a lucrative Windows contract with the city of
> Munich, Germany, to Linux and open-source software."
>
> So maybe we won't see KDE based solutions in Munich...especially as it
> seems SuSE is cooperating with Ximian.

SuSE is cooperating with Ximian since some time already so I doubt this is
really saying much. I think the "killer feature" in corporate/public
environments is locking down of the UI and centralized password management,
both which KDE offers with Kiosk mode now and Kwallet hopefully in 3.2. I'd
be surprised to hear Ximian is actually finally working on similar features
for Gnome (I asked several times before since it'd be great in a mixed
environment, but it seemed unlikely to happen so far).

Datschge