List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re:  Fwd: Knoppix, KDE
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2003-05-12 16:35:50

Eaden McKee wrote:
> Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
>
> > Charles de Miramon wrote:

> > > Remastering a Knoppix is pretty easy if you know a little bit the
> > > Debian packaging system.
> >

> > ...or so the myth goes.
>

> I agree,  it's not rocket science, but takes quite a bit of time too,
> due to shifting and compressing large amounts of data. Everytime you
> want to test your remaster you have to comress all the data.
>
> I had a thought on the free / non-free thing. The latest versions of
> knoppix have a flash plugin installer. It downloads the flash plugin
> from the internet, and installs it. Could you use something like this to
> install Acrobat?

The question was not about acrobat. At least not for me. I can live
without acrobat. xpdf does most things (support of PDF hyperlinks)
which I am missing in kghostview.

But nothing is there which could replace the pre-configuration of the
data we offer to Windows Clients. (Once they download it, it turns
out it is a PostScript driver for them -- for the GNU/Linux server it
is just "data").

> Would that be a good compromise?

I can not think of a way to make it work the same way for those
CUPS PostScript drivers for Windows Clients.

Also, for those people who object to the inclusion of the files on
a KDE CD dubbed as "Free-only", I think there is no fundamental
difference: because acting as a "proxy", offering a script which
downloads and installs the non-Free programs  ---  isn't that also
"promoting the use of non-Free software"?

So, no, I don't think it is a good compromise.

> Eaden McKee

Cheers,
Kurt