List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re:  Fwd: Knoppix, KDE
From:       Richard Stallman <rms () gnu ! org>
Date:       2003-05-14 13:48:25

    I had a thought on the free / non-free thing. The latest versions of
    knoppix have a flash plugin installer. It downloads the flash plugin
    from the internet, and installs it. Could you use something like this to
    install Acrobat? Would that be a good compromise?

That is not a solution, that is a problem in its own right.  Whether
we distribute the non-free program on the CD, or arrange for the code
on the CD to download it, either way we are leading the user to use
the non-free program.

Users can find, obtain and install non-free software if they want to.
When they do that on their own initiative, it is unfortunate, but it
is not our fault, so we are not responsible for it.

For us to lead them to do so is another matter.  That is something we
are responsible for, something we should avoid.