List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Address database for press contacts
From:       Philippe Fremy <phil () freehackers ! org>
Date:       2003-04-22 11:55:57

> But we do need a proper system to punch contact info into and
> evaluating between a relational database or a directory seems a valid
> consideration in such a matter.

I think a text file in a CVS repository where KDE members have access can do
the job prefectely. If it really gets too big, we can move to a kword or
kspread document. People really underestimate the power of simple
technology. What can LDAP brings you that you need and that text file + CVS
won't provide ?

I would prefer people to spend their time on something actually useful for
kde promotion.

> That's also what test servers are for, but once there's a bare bones
> system in place that works we should start filling it. Those who can
> improve it in areas that the KDE promo effort actually needs are welcome
> to do so, but the priority should be filling it with useful data.

You really sound like we have thousands of records here. Let just see how
the text file solution scales and then see if we need something more
advanced. I don't think KDE promotion needs an oracle database.

> Writing content is something I do much better than writing code, so I'll
> stick to that. I have this very handy set of books here called "Handboek
> van de Pers", containing addresses of practically all (thousands)
> serious printed media in the Netherlands. It's all on paper, but once a
> database for KDE-promo exists I'll fill it with any relevant addresses
> from these books. That'll probably take quite a lot of time for a single
> person but it's feasible and provides a gradual path to see if the
> system scales properly and functions as intended.

Instead of filling the database with random names, how about getting in
contact with the people from KDE / Netherland and try to write / phone
directly to those press contact. You can filll the textfile database as you
write to them.

Instead of spending time copying a book into a database, you can actually
help directly KDE.

For you info, I have been running a comany for two years with 4 people and
we had plenty of html files for managing our press and commercial contacts.
It worked out very well.

> If it keeps working properly after some time we can start attracting
> people from other countries to fill their parts of the system and maybe
> attract some funding for colocation of the box..

blah blah blah.

Right now, KDE promotion has the problem that almost nobody does something
really useful. Before "attracting people from other countries by filling a
database", you could just get in contact with those journalists, and if it
is successful. Then write here on how you got KDE pushed in the press. That
will get people from other countries join.

But there is no point in filling a database and pretending that it will help
KDE promotion and that people willing to join have to fill a database.

	regards,

	Philippe

--
You should not reinvent the wheel.
Except when the first inventor made it square!