List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo]  License for kdepromo Addressbook Data and LDAP
From:       "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas () kompas-media ! nl>
Date:       2003-04-21 18:40:09

> How would people feel if Debian used it?
> Gnome? M$?  Jo-Shmo Consulting?

Addresses are essentially public information but having people hijack
our efforts to make them conveniently accessible does make me feel a bit
uncomfortable. Maybe we should do like QT does and open the license to
projects like Gnome (how ironic) and other OSS projects, but request a
nominal subscription fee from commercial entities like Jo-Shmo
Consulting (MS have their own marketing dept).

It's a bit early to set any license in place just yet I think. The whole
project as it stands currently has just begun (the server is recompiling
its kernel and patches now) so it may be best to retain copyright for
ourselves just now and not license it to others at all at this stage
just to be on the safe side legally. It's a community effort and will
stay that way, but at least for now we should be able to concentrate on
creating something. With firmly retained copyrights it's easy to thwart
abuse.

Requests coming from the KDE community are so obvious and from familiar
people that access can easily be granted on a per-individual basis, but
I don't expect any requests coming from outside KDE anytime soon. The
amount of information will simply be too small to be worthwhile for the
time being.

Personally I'd be comfortable if <firm/foundation-with-money> were to
(partially) fund something like colocation of our server when it grows
too big for my pipe. Contribution of new addresses or additional detail
to existing ones would also be eligible for at least a discount if you
ask me. But let's not get too hasty for now..

The kernel on the test box is almost done compiling. In the mean time
I'm locking down the box as far as possible and will probably open a
peephole for Mark late this evening or tomorrow morning so he can start
implementing/testing/coding. Anyone interested in helping with the app
should contact Mark since I don't want too many people on my box at
once. Bandwidth is scarce, sorry. When the app is done I'll start
filling it to see how it holds its own and others can start contributing
if the app proves stable. We'll have to do quite some typing before
it'll get even remotely useful to any 3rd party outside KDE-promo so
let's get to that first.

Regards,

Bas

Bas v.d. Wiel