List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo]
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2003-04-21 16:55:40

I have pretty much made up my mind to use LDAP.  If it looks like an
addressbook, feels like an addressbook and smells like an
addressbook, then it's an addressbook.

The Debian stuff looks like overkill.  Their system does things like
keep track of developers GPG keys, lat/longs, vacation dates, and
machines.  It is replicated as well and has an email gateway.  These
are future possibilities, but I'm thinking something simpler for
starters.

Is there anyone on this list that has experience with LDAP and would
be willing to chat (off-list)?  I want to make sure I set it up
properly.  Please email me privately if you are willing to field a
few questions over the next couple of weeks.

Now, on to a more complicated issue.

What license should we use for the addressbook data?

It's possible (if two or three more people like Bas v.d. Wiel pop up!)
that this database could actually be very valuable for any technical
organization sending out press releases.

Since it will be LDAP, anyone with an LDAP-enabled addressbook will be
able to get the emails.  How would people feel if Debian used it?
Gnome? M$?  Jo-Shmo Consulting?

What about requiring attribution (kind of like the BSD license).
Require something like "Press release generated with the help of the
KDE Promotion Database" at the bottom of every email or fax?

Could someone close it up--that is, suck out the data then market a
fee-for-service web service using our data?

Is the CDDB experience relevant?

If this does turn out to be a useful tool, I think it is important to
be clear on these issues before people start volunteering hours of
their time to fill it up.

Mark