List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Trophees du libre
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2003-02-13 21:53:34

Le Jeudi 13 Février 2003 17:57, Philippe Fremy a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> A french organisation is holding a competition with Free Software. This is
> not reserved to french people only, it is open to anybody, organisation or
> people. The goal is "to reward the hard work accomplished by the developers
> who will be taking part in one the 6 categories available."

At Solutions Linux, I had a quick talk with vice-president of the main sponsor
of the Trophées du Libre, "Soissons Technopôle" (http://www.sil-cetril.org /
http://www.soissons-technopole.org/).

Soissons is a small town in the North East of France which was quite important
in the Merovingian time and even shortly the capital of France (Hugues Capet
was coronated there in 987). Since then, it was a rather sleepy town with a
large army base. During the two last centuries, The French army were largely
stationned in the North East waiting for the German Army and then the Red
Army.

Since the end of Soviet Union, the French government has decomissioned a big
number of these army bases and given them back to the local governements
which are struggling to do something out of them. Soissons have renovated a
big army base into an incubator (Soissons Technopôle) for start-ups in IT and
they had the idea to brand the incubator has an ideal place for start-ups
related to Open Source or Free Software.

The vice-president of Soissons Informatique Libre (a non-profit organization
related to Soissons Technopole) had a booth next KDE at Solutions Linux and
was interested in the Knoppix-KDE (see my report here :
http://www.kde-france.org/article.php3?id_article=98). I said to him that the
Demo-KDE would look more professional if we could burn it on a CD with a KDE
Logo and have a CD Case with a leaflet of presentation.

He said that it is something they could finance but I guess they would ask in
return some publicity (logo on the back, HTML presentation of Soissons
Technopôle on the CD).

In my plan, if we unite the different efforts around a Demo CD. We should
should not aim at doing an iso image but rather a kit of debian packages with
a good howto. Every local promotion group would remaster its image with the
local i18n package and also tutorials and howtos on KDE. KDEev would send
them the blank CD customized with the KDE logo and they would burn the CDs
and sell them or distribute them.

I think it is really important to have a set of tutorials on the Demo-KDE. A
lot of people I've talked to in Linux Solutions are using KDE 3.0 but didn't
know that you could use kio in a konqueror url bar. Filling a cd to the top
with kde software is not enough. People are lazy and they want an easy
clickable introduction to KDE. We should work more to educate our users.

The point is if we write a letter asking for a special promotion deal with
Soissons Technopôle, I don't think we should at the same time apply to the
Trophées du Libre.

What are your opinions on this subject ?

Cheers,
Charles
--
cmiramon@kde-france.org