List:       kde-promo
Subject:    RE: [kde-promo] Re: gnome look option in kpersonalizer
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2002-11-20 9:24:06

> > - some people are using/modifying/improving the theme with the name
> > FreeCurve to avoid trademark conflict
>
> those "some people" are Red Hat employees. so it isn't someone just being
> careful, it's their own people following the corporate line. i also have
an
> email from Havoc to a gnome mailing list stating the reason for the name
> change was because Red Hat had a trademark on the name and therefore
couldn't

This is ridiculous. Red Hat employee are not allowed to modify GPL code
because their employer trademarked it ?

> > - has RedHat tried to enforce its trademark, threaten to sue projects
that
> > would reuse their code ?
>
> only warnings not to from the likes of Havoc Pennington coupled with the
> actions of Red Hat employees to re-release the BlueCurve theme under a
> different name to avoid the trademark issue and "allow"
> redistribution.

So it looks like, despite the trademark, Red Hat is willing to allow normal
GPL distribution of the code. Or are their employees distributing FreeCurve
without the approbation of Red Hat ?

> > If you confirm the points, I'll forward this to my contact at Trolltech.
>
> please do so, as i really don't have any myself.

I am sure you can count Mathias Ettrich as a contact. Even if he doesn't
deal with the problem, he will certainly forward it to the right person. The
same certainly applies to sales@trolltech.com .

Do you have the links to Havoc's mails ? I guess this wasn't accepted by
Gnome hackers as something natural :-)

Question popping in my mind: is Qt trademarked ? I guess and I hope so. But
it means Trolltech could do exactly what Red Hat is doing to anybody
distributing Qt.

Aaron, if you are still replying to mail at this time, this means you should
go to bed. :-)

	Have a nice night.

	Philippe