List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: gnome look option in kpersonalizer
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2002-11-20 10:13:50

Hi,

I find this reaction a bit troubling.  Can someone explain why you can't
trademark a product name b/c of the GPL?  In my view trademark law and the GPL
can co-exist quite nicely.

In fact, it is often desirable even for KDE to restrict use of the name "KDE".
Imagine for example that someone came out with a desktop product that included
parts of "KDE" and wanted to call it "KDE", thereby confusing everybody in the
world.  Would we not want to object to that?  Would it benefit the world to have
thousands of forked copies of a product going around with the *same* name, and
nobody being able to clarify the situation?

I don't see the problem here, I don't see any GPL violation, and I don't see why
it would be beneficial to find one.  Perhaps someone can clarify for me what I
am missing.

Regards,

Dre