List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] today's Gnossip
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2002-02-25 19:13:40

Neil Stevens <neil@qualityassistant.com> wrote:
> How do you define troll?  I don't brand anyone who happens to disagree
> with the popular opinion with a name.  The loudest dissent on freekde.org

Neither do I.  Sustained malicious intent is key, and it's often easy
to identify.  Wiggle lasted for a while on the dot, until he slipped
up and made it easy to brand him as a troll.  So did dude13/joe99.
There are ones that can be immediately spotted.

> was from people who 1) assumed that I blindly obeyed Richard Stallman or
> 2) earnestly made arguments that differed with the ones presented by the
> site, arguments that are sometimes made by notable KDE contributors.  I'm
> inclined to label neither as "trolling," as opposed to what I will outline
> below from dot.kde.org.

Yup, but there were posts from people who knew better, just for the
sake of trolling your site.  Those posts were repetitive, across
articles.

> And I had different priorities.  I'm asking you what your priorities are:
> convenience for the occasional poster seems to outweigh doing something
> about obvious troublemakers.

Both are being taken care of, it's not one or the other.  Like I
mentioned before, we do have anti-troll measures.

> Look at the one on Red Flag Linux (http://dot.kde.org/1014385110/):

Yes, this was a bad article.  However we lasted for a *long* time
since our previous bad troll attack.  People seem to disregard this
fact.  We were even explicitly targeted by troll-site geekizoid.com,
and from hidden forums like trolltalk on Slashdot.

> hmm.. and now as I look the ones I was going to point out have obviously
> been deleted, as I seem to remember that many following mine were from a
> particular anti-Chinese poster. :-)

Exactly, trust me when I say we make it difficult for trollers.  There
are few or no innocent casualties, although there have been repentant
trollers.

> So, I'll say that vigilant deleting would work, but dot.kde.org editors

That does work as part of the solution.

> frequently seem busy, so deleting alone isn't enough to contain the
> problem, as by the time the deletes happen, the discussion's already been
> hijacked.

It's been enough so far.  Hijacked discussions are indeed the most
troublesome, and people always insist on replying to obvious trolls.

Later,
-N.