List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Re: KDE in top 1.5%
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2002-02-20 18:30:24

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 11:49, Jonathan Singer wrote:

> I'm writing up an account of the NYC Linux Expo (to be submitted to
> dot.kde.org in a few days) that also talks about what would be helpful
> to a group of volunteers showing up to man a booth with no existing
> resources. Our booth was popular, but embarassingly empty, and few
> simple items like poster files and CD images would have helped
> tremendously. (Better hardware than a flickery 60 Hz monitor would also
> have helped.) Basically the booth was 2-4 KDE guys standing around with
> their laptops.

Oops--didn't mean to skip your name.  I just didn't meet you at the booth!

> Of course, we're not Ximian and I understand why we don't have a huge,
> expensive presence. But the kind of events toolkit you're describing
> would be simple and make a huge difference, and offer some
> non-developers a quick, valuable way to contribute.

I figured.  How do you picture this events toolkit?  And how would you
want to deal with money issues; for example, if the kit included
  - t-shirts for sale, or
  - brochures that were mailed to you, or
  - brochures you printed yourself (on high-quality paper
     using a high-quality color ink-jet), or
  - business cards for you, or
  - KDE 3 CD's for sale?

I think if done in a semi-organized fashion, these kinds of sales should
bring money into (promotion || events).kde.org.  Would you (and other expo
folks) be able to pay upfront or would you need the inventory fronted to
you?

How did this work for the brochures at the German expo?

peace,

mark