List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE in top 1.5%
From:       Mark Bucciarelli <mark () easymailings ! com>
Date:       2002-02-20 18:18:16

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 09:01, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:

> Do you want to help with such a site?

Yes, but I will probably be very slow.  Like the turtle that won the race!
> )

it seems we have a bunch of PR stuff already.  I coulds ee what we could
get started for free (just time to organize it).  let me know what you are
working on so we don't duplicate effort.

then maybe i could start by investigating what you need to set up to
accept donations.  i seem to remember issues with PayPal (US-only?).
Anyone here have experience with international donations?

> I am already working on a
> events.kde.org site. But I don't want to handle money stuff (and I also
> don't have time for that) - KDE Leage and KDE e.V. still give money.
> Although it's not transparent I still prefer it this way.

suggestion: broaden site mission and call it promotion.kde.org.

question: KDE League and KDE e.V give money to whom?

I would very much like to make any PR money transparent.  Like Freenet
does--I think that is great.  Actually, this is a requirement for my
involvement.

> > I do think there is a need for centralized support of KDE volunteers
> > who set up boths and so on.  If KDE League isn't interested in that
> > role (and it seems pretty clear from their actions that they are not),
> > why not take the Free Software approach and FORK.   A possible mission
> > is to simply support KDE volunteers who set up boths at shows.  This
> > is a clearly defined and rather small mission, which is a Good Thing
> > (TM).
> >
> > Maybe a web site that:
> >
> > (1) keep tabs on all the linux conferences going on around the world
>
> already in planning
>
> > (2) allows volunteers to  indicate that they would like to staff a
> > booth
>
> registration and authentication works already, now the database stuff
> comes ;-)

cool.  i can help with database stuff.

> > (3) provides a central place for KDE artists to submit their work
>
> good idea, didn't think about that :-)
>
> > (4) (perhaps) maintains a small inventory of glossy brochures
>
> There already exit brochures and posters. We made them for Linuxtag,
> Germany last year.
>
> > (5) (perhaps) maintains an inventory of print on demand t-shirt
> > designs
>
> There are already plans to make a deal with Freiberg Net for european
> fairs. As with brochures, business cards, posters and T-Shirts we always
> have the problem of transports costs, so I think we have to localize
> teams. Right now the fairs where we are present are in Europe (largest
> in Germany) and in USA, but maybe there are more people interested?
> Maybe you can make a deal with Cafepress in the USA. There already exist
> T-Shirts for KDE, but beware - I don't know the name of the person who
> gets the money, so maybe you should start something new.

i agree about localizing stuff.

question: so who signs the contract with Freiberg Net?  you?

> > (6) (perhaps) sets up a paypal account for receiving donations for
> > PR.
>
> Well ok, as I said above... not me.

as above, i'm happy to figure out what is needed for starters.

> Cheers,
> eva

peace,

mark