List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] news.news.com.com
From:       Tink <tink () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-16 22:15:49

At 12:23 +0100 02/16/02,
> Any ideas on what the PR focus should be in terms of KDE3 vs KDE2?

I've some ideas about that.
If you, and I did, track the press announcements that have been made
with prior releases you will see that none of these were mentioned or
published in the tech section of the regular news papers. Even after
they were released I contacted mainy newspaper editors in California
and suggested the would make at least a small announcement. One
replied that he didn't know what the heck the text in the
announcement was about.
Reasons for this is in my opinion the too heavy focus on technical
stuff and phrases. No tech-editor is swept of his feet because of
techniques and ioslaves, dcop and Q3, and probably is not familiar
with them either and will decide not to place the press release.

Looking at other succesful companies how they handle their
press-releases and announcement I would like to suggest the following.
Make 2 press-releases. One popular with some buzz words, describing
KDE 3.0 features without using tecnical buzzwords. Also release the
normal press announcement which will probably be picked up by tech
websites and magazines, mainly interesting for fellow developers and
sysadmins but not for the general public and small companies.

I discussed this with Waldo, sometimes there are advantages being
married to a KDE developer ;-), he will work things out and will make
a proposition for a mainstream press release.

--
Tink

-- People who are willing to rely on the government to keep them safe
are pretty much standing on Darwin's mat, pounding on the door,
screaming, "Take me, take me!" --