List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] as far as theKompany is concerned
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-12-06 7:07:52

You know, we've done a bucket of free stuff and it always gets forgotten
for some reason.  I've spent more time and money on Aethera than any other
product in our stable for whatever insanity and now we will give it
away.  The updated Qt version is done now and we are testing
internally.  Since I'm the only one here talking about this that has had to
deal with the realities of making money at this, I think I'm in a better
position to says what works and what doesn't.  The biggest mistake I made
was funding so much open source stuff early on, I thought it would be a
boon to everyone, but it wasn't apparently.

As far as the comment on Quanta - I couldn't be more happy with the sales
of that product, it's kicking butt now and is the fastest seller in our
group of applications, so I don't think we made a mistake there.  Sure we
are working on a lot of different things, but for the most part we have as
many people working on each app as can reasonably work on it, we had some
stalls in the middle of this year due to financial constraints and
customers that defaulted on contracts with us, so we deal with the
reality.  We've not raised one outside dime of money at this point and I
think we've got a far bigger stable of products than Ximian for their $18
million.

If everyone is so sure of how to be profitable in this space, I have yet to
see any of you do it.  Also, we get far more fan letters than we do hate mail.

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President
theKompany.com