List:       kde-print
Subject:    Re: server restart loses printer instances and settings
From:       Michael Goffioul <goffioul () imec ! be>
Date:       2002-06-18 14:08:07

> I have both, CUPS 1.1.14 + 1.1.15 tried. I have different KDE users on my
> system: kdehead is using a complete KDE_HEAD environment, kde4 is using
> KDE_3_3_BRANCH, kurt is using KDE-3.0.1 (as released by SuSE).
>
>    CUPS is running, you can access printers via Web interface.
>    kprinter for user kurt works
>    kprinter for users kde4 and kdehead shows the behaviour as described...

What you get is weird. Indeed, what I added is a checking mechanism
before trying to get the printer list. This checking mechanism is
completely asynchronous, so it avoids to freeze the GUI, and when the
manager sends the message "OK, go on" to the GUI, then it enters
normal mode like before. In CUPS, the checking mechanism does the
following:
1) tries to connect to <host>:<port> (where host and port are those
   specified in the options dialog)
2) if it succeeds, tries to get a minimal printer list (only the
   printer names). If 1) fails, it waits 1 sec and tries again.

In your situation, it seems the checking mechanism fails to connect to
the CUPS server, which seems weird if CUPS and KDEPrint are correctly
configured.

Michael.